Sunday, May 20, 2018

Something Fishy: More Quilted Silk Scrap Brooches

In February, I showed some Valentine's Day hearts made from felt, silk scraps and tulle. After the holiday, I wanted to go beyond hearts, so I dug up my aquatic life pattern e-book, printed out shapes, and used them to make....this butterfly fish...
...a winking crab....

 ...a lumpfish...
 ...a surprised angelfish....
,,,a bored Angelfish...

Same eye, different fish:
...a second seahorse (first one was here)...


A couple of snipefish...

...and cichlids...

...and sharks....


...octopii...

And so forth. Because I was running low on pin backings, I stitched gold safety pins to the back (You can also stitch a barrette finding or jump ring for a pendant; or, glue magnets to the back). I drip Fray Check on all the knots. 

These have made easy-to-transport gifts, which I inflict on friends and family on all occasions and non-occasions. I pinned them all to the back of a quilted wallhanging whose front was heavily sun-damaged. I roll this quilt up and carry it. When I meet someone who needs a brooch, I unroll it and let them choose!
Since making them, I revised and updated the ocean creatures pattern book with instructions for these brooches, as well as using these patterns to make applique quilts, especially from upcycled denim. More silk scrap valentines and a free tutorial are here. The pattern book is still available on my Etsy and blog shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!