Sunday, July 12, 2020

Need a Project? Take a New Look at an Old Quilt

Are you a loss for new projects? Quarantine is the ideal time to look at your finished quilts and ask yourself a melancholy yet potentially engaging question: Is this quilt really finished?

When I finish a quilt, I usually don't love it - I mainly see flaws. It takes a while to figure out whether it needs more. But this improv-pieced quilt was an exception. I just loved it when I finished it in 2017.

Then, the people I showed it to went "Very nice, meh, next."

Then QuiltCon rejected it. Dang, I was soooo not-understood.

I held my artistic ground, and defiantly placed it into my finished quilt pile (which happens to be the same as my unfinished quilt pile), where it sat until early February. I had just attended Road to California, and one of the costs/benefits of attending a show is that it makes you want to up your game. Could I add pizzazz?

What the heck, I went for it, quilting light diagonal lines between blocks. Then I appliqued puffy circles at the intersections. Now it looks like this:

I feel like I took an opera and turned it into a jingle. But that's not always bad - Bohemian Rhapsody, right?

The great thing about digital cameras is that you can take lots of pictures of every stage of your quilt's childhood. So, even though I destroyed the first version, I will always have Paris in the form of zillions of "before" pictures.

I originally called it "Eyeshadows," because the blocks look like eyes wide open, with rainbow mascara, Now, it might need a new name: "Round Pegs, Square Holes." The circles have batting inside, and the ones that hang over the edge have a finished back.  Each was quilted with a different design before being hand-stitched in place.






I'm not entirely sure if I ruined it or improved it, but it's definitely more fun than the original! And now, I sincerely hope it's finished!



6 comments:

  1. I actually like both versions. Very brave of you to take on an already finished quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Vivian, for appreciating the fear! (Everyone should have such problems!) It took me three years plus a weekend at a high-quality quilt show to be able to bid adieu to the old version! But it's not really goodbye, I'll always have the photos....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just say: Quilt Con was WRONG. The before quilt is so fabulous. The follow up is awesome as well. I like both. Could the dots be removable? (velcro, snaps?) I really like the added diagonal quilting. I agree with V., adding to a finished quilt is very brave. I have done it as well, and was glad I did. You are one of my top quilt heroes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Jane, for understanding my suffering! I have forgiven Quiltcon for not sufficiently understanding me. I love your idea of making the dots removable dots. It would be fun to make a quilt that, through the miracle of velcro, can be transformed from understated/low volume/Modern to overstated/baroque/Baltimore Album!!!

      Delete
  4. I put my vote in for both versions. If I had to give the first one a name it might be Pixelation. A name for for the second hasn't come to me but definitely the quilt has a happy joyful feel and I like how the quilting joins the circles to the squares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, thank you so much for the feedback. I hadn't thought of pixels, what a good point! I've got to chew on that....

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!