Friday, October 31, 2014

Spool Skeletons and Stash Ghosts: Halloween Decor from the Sewing Room

We're counting down the minutes to Halloween - I live in a  kid-friendly town and on any given Halloween we get over 300 trick-or-treaters. It's always madness!

Think anyone will suspect a stitcher lives here? For one thing, yesterday, my daughter created these  three weird  porch ghosts by ripping up a large percentage of my white muslin stash:



 The masks are plaster, made many years ago from a mask kit.
Neither of us bothered to iron the muslin first, as you can see.

And then there are the spool skeletons that I invented many years ago - I had my own then-little kids draw (some) of the faces, and pony beads are involved.


 This one has a soul patch:
A surprising number of people recognize them as thread spools and ask if I sew! 

I love seeing the costumes kids wear, especially the (rare) handmade ones!

6 comments:

  1. Cathy, as usual, you are a crazy woman. And you handed down that gene to your poor daughter! Those ghosts on the porch should keep some of the trick or treaters away! Have a spooky Hallowe'en!
    Marla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great greeters!
    I cut up some of my a Halloween stash at the last minute because we needed napkins and my husband couldn't find any at the dollar store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Cathy. You sure make me smile. I love the thread spool skeletons. Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maggie, you make me smile, too!

      Delete
  4. Cathy, I love it! I don't decorate the studio for holidays as there are just too many permanent decorations! It's crowded in there. I love that you combined your sewing with Halloween porch dec. I just read this old QA post, so that's why I'm just now commenting. I tell you, when Maggie and I had lunch, we both said we really like you and your QA posts! Betcha didn't know we were talking about you!
    LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete