Friday, October 31, 2014

Spool Skeletons and Stash Ghosts: Halloween Decor from the Sewing Room

We're counting down the minutes to Halloween - I live in a  kid-friendly town and on any given Halloween we get over 300 trick-or-treaters. It's always madness!

Think anyone will suspect a stitcher lives here? For one thing, yesterday, my daughter created these  three weird  porch ghosts by ripping up a large percentage of my white muslin stash:



 The masks are plaster, made many years ago from a mask kit.
Neither of us bothered to iron the muslin first, as you can see.

And then there are the spool skeletons that I invented many years ago - I had my own then-little kids draw (some) of the faces, and pony beads are involved.


 This one has a soul patch:
A surprising number of people recognize them as thread spools and ask if I sew! 

I love seeing the costumes kids wear, especially the (rare) handmade ones!

6 comments:

  1. Cathy, as usual, you are a crazy woman. And you handed down that gene to your poor daughter! Those ghosts on the porch should keep some of the trick or treaters away! Have a spooky Hallowe'en!
    Marla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great greeters!
    I cut up some of my a Halloween stash at the last minute because we needed napkins and my husband couldn't find any at the dollar store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Cathy. You sure make me smile. I love the thread spool skeletons. Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy, I love it! I don't decorate the studio for holidays as there are just too many permanent decorations! It's crowded in there. I love that you combined your sewing with Halloween porch dec. I just read this old QA post, so that's why I'm just now commenting. I tell you, when Maggie and I had lunch, we both said we really like you and your QA posts! Betcha didn't know we were talking about you!
    LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!