Thursday, November 22, 2018

Happy Thanksgiving! Start Making Paper Dreidels!

Happy Thanksgiving! I don't want to panic you, but it's time to prepare for Hanukkah (starts December 2)! A couple of weeks ago I showed off some freemotion-quilted fabric dreidels. They don't spin well, but they do make good decor, as well as shelter for chocolate coins, dinosaurs....
...and even smaller dreidels...
Now Hanukah looms even closer, making this the perfect project for avoiding stores on Black Friday. If you don't have time to quilt, you can use the same approach to make paper or cardstock dreidels, which spin much better than the button-stem kind if you use pencils with flat sides: 
Above, left to right, they're made out of: an old stationary folder, a box of souvenir Singaporean dried fruit, a birthday card, and a Cheerios box. Closer: 


Alas, with the Cheerios box, I made the unfortunate mistake during construction of ignoring the  Pampers ad on one side....
...Because who doesn't want to think about poopy diapers while spinning dreidels? (or while eating cereal? Cheerios executives: Are you really that desperate?)

Moving from the ridiculous to the sublime...the nicer the paper you use, the better the dreidels. For the next two, I used the 2006-2007 Women of Reform Judaism calendar, with each month a gorgeous cutout collage by Atlanta Artist Flora Rosefsky. 

When I wrote to Flora to ask for permission to show them, she filled me in on the background. The collage series was initiated in 2001.
"...I still enjoy creating new collage work, using the same 'drawing with scissors' method, but now sometimes add mixed materials like fabric, trim, and ephemera (found paper)."
 Find more of her intoxicating work at www.FloraRosefsky.com.  

Of course, you can create your own collage, and then turn that into a dreidel. To make cardstock or paper dreidels, create a pattern like the one below (basically five squares, and four equilateral triangles). Score all the interior lines, cut it out, then fold and tape the outside. Or cut extra tabs along the sides of the bottom triangles, and at one end of the squares. Then you can use a glue stick or hot glue the tabs, from the inside, to close it up. (The right and lower tabs are not necessary for fiber dreidels.)
More information about artsy dreidel construction is in my recent blog post, here. And a word from our sponsor - if you don't feel like drafting it yourself, my instant download booklet for stitching fiber art dreidels- including patterns and Hebrew letters in three sizes, and step-by-step instructions - is available for $3.00 from my Etsy shop, here

Wishing you a healthy, happy Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, and everything else you celebrate!  

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this interesting post! What a great way to repurpose Flora's collages. I'm going to check out your etsy site ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel! Flora's collages are wonderful, but the paper wasn't very sturdy. The next time I do it, I think I might glue or mod podge the images onto cardstock, like a file folder. I'd like a slightly more substantial dreidel!

      Delete
  2. I love the dreidels so much. I am 3 days back from a wonderful trip to Israel and they have just begun showing chanukiyot and dreidels in the shops. Of course, I had to snag some Israeli dreidels to bring home. It is amazing how early we will begin lighting this year. Thanks for the sharing the tutorial and pattern for the dreidels. I love following your blog and you have the best name to boot!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the compliments! Israeli shops are only just beginning to show dreidels? That's admirable restraint! We spotted neighborhood Christmas lights a few days ago, and Christmas tv ads have been up for weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so excited to see mention of my friend, Flora Rosefsky, in you article! She is a wonderfully creative spirit and I have been honored and privileged to work with her on several community projects! Thanks for the memory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine, I agree with you - Flora is an angel, and her art is amazing!I am privileged to know her!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!