Saturday, September 1, 2012

Leah Day Labor Day Sale - NOT a Paid Endorsement!

I swear this is not a paid advertisement!

When I first saw Leah Day's 'Free Motion Quilting Project' blog (http://www.daystyledesigns.com), I was confused.


Here was a VERY young lady (25 when she started in 2009, but she looks like a 6th grader), offering up free little videos for making a wide assortment of free motion designs - that is, designs that you don't need to draw out first, but that you can stitch (after a little or a lot of practice) on your machine.


I looked at some of her videos. I looked at some more. But wait, there were more. In fact, there were hundreds of them, and she was determined to make hundreds more. Each design had its own webpage, with a free little video showing how the design unspools, and clear photos.


I realized that I had a lot to learn from the kid.


Plus, she has a more-than-generous sharing policy. From the copyright section of her book:

“Attention, quilters, artists and other crafters: Please feel free to use the designs in this book in your quilts, artwork, craft projects,etc.  These designs were created to be used and shared to make the world a more beautiful place."
It doesn't get much easier than that.

You never have to send Leah a cent to learn her designs. You can watch the videos, totally free, on her website, as many as you want for as long as you want. Sign up for her free newsletter and see her new designs as soon as they emerge.


But after a while, it may occur to you that it would be really great to have a book that you can flip through more easily to find the kind of design you what you want.


Yesterday, I got an email that the '365 Free Motion Quilting Designs' ebook is onsale for half price, through Labor Day! At $18, it's a  steal. On paper it's $55, and I think that's well worth it too.


Do yourself a favor and look around at Leah's website: Start here: http://www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/p/start-here.html. Check out her videos. You may eventually buy her book, or not. 


She is so generous with her talent. I really don't get any commissions from her! Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sending along the free motion quilting blog. I like to try and do my own so this will be very helpful. I bought SewEasy quilting on a roll and that works really well. Just have to take the extra time to tear away the paper after quilting. Enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, Mary Ann. I haven't tried SewEasy, but I will! Tranferring quilting designs onto quilt tops is always a challenge....

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!