Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Stitch, Don't Shoot: #NeverAgain

In Parkland, Florida, teen funerals continue. In Tallahassee, courageous survivors share their story with a reluctant state government.  As a mother of students; as the daughter of a high school teacher; as a human being; I can hardly bear it. Stitching works out some of of the despair.

I started Stitched, don't Shoot in 2013 after the Sandy Hook murders. I finished it this year. Materials: Cigar box, acrylic yarn. Elements are crocheted.

Closed. (It says "Stitch").


Open.
That's a hollow gun. It's loaded pregnant.



















Extra bullets. Camouflage-colored acrylic yarn mat lines the bottom. 


(The pattern for the crocheted letters is from Handy Kitty, here.)

Maybe this time I should make signs for marches. Or crochet hats? Or shrouds? As as we figure out how to support the courageous student survivors, in the movement they have so hopefully dubbed #neveragain.

I also worked through my feelings with some Artist Trading Cards on this theme, described in my last post.




2 comments:

  1. Both of your pieces speak so eloquently on this issue. I am so proud of all the people rising up and speaking. This problem is complex and will take a lot of different measures to fix it. We should do everything possible to stop this from ever happening again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the young people's testimony is just incredible. If this doesn't break the logjam, nothing will....Thanks for the comment, SM!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!