Sunday, August 19, 2018

Got Librarians? A Pillow for Book Lovers

Just finished: A birthday throw pillow for my cousins, rabbi Nina, and her husband Tom, a retired librarian: 
The lovable library fabric was designed by Heather Givans of Windham Fabrics, for her "Jot" collection. Closer:
I found it a couple of months ago, during my visit to an a terrific New York City fabric district quilt shop, Gotham Quilts
Gotham doesn't stock vast amounts of fabric, but the selection is choice and the prices are among the most reasonable for quilting cottons in New York's fabric district. (Most of the stores I visited there - much larger and messier - charged far more than $10-$12/yard). The owner is friendly and helpful! Great classes, too!
To cover the inner pillow (which I stuffed myself), I used fabric that my daughter bought me while participating in an archaeological dig in New Mexico this summer. My cousins live in Arizona, and have been involved with Native American causes, so I felt this was perfect for the interior.
There are approximately 20 billion pillowcase-making tutorials online, including (speaking of the great Southwest), the "burrito method". (Google "pillowcase tutorial.") With the right novelty fabric, a custom covered pillow is the perfect, fast gift!

Note: I have no financial affiliation with anything mentioned or linked to in this blog post! But, speaking of money, the fabrics in the Givans "Jot" collection are still widely available online, in precuts as well as yardage. 



5 comments:

  1. I think I’m in love with this fabric Cathy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to love, Barbara! What kid (and adult) doesn't love library date stamps! Arts and crafts at the library!

      Delete
  2. I’m so glad you raced about Gotham Fabric store. To. Used to take me down to The City Quilter when we were up in N. Y. But they closed. Good to know I have another shop to visit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joan! I am very sad that The City Quilter is closed. There's also one more "just quilts" fabric shop in the NYC fabric district that I know of - it's Victoria Findlay Wolfe's shop (website at https://vfwquilts.com/). It's hard to find because it's not a store front - it's a tiny room in a huge office building - there's no sign of any kind - you have to find the street address, sign in with the doorman and take the elevator. Her prices are as good as Gotham, which is about the same as you'd pay at any decent quilt shop in the country. (Which, considering New York real estate prices, is pretty good!)

      Delete
  3. Ah, makes me nostalgic for glued-in lending slips. I used to look at the previous due dates, and feel sorry for books that hadn't been checked out much.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!