Thursday, August 16, 2012

Not Jackie O's Pillbox

One of my favorite things to quilt is hats - in particular, pillbox hats. These hats can serve as a fun accessories, and/or as yarmulkes. (And making yarmulkes is one of my obsessions).

This particular style of yarmulke is sometimes referred to as "Bukharan," because Jews in that part of Uzbekistan (and throughout the Moslem world) wore them, heavily influenced by the garments of their Muslim neighbors.

Several years ago, I made this one, all raw edge applique, using batik fabrics, and variegated and gold metallic thread:

Side view: 
It's so much fun to create free-form with batik scraps. They contain such wonderful light! Trees, landscapes, anything in the natural world - batik makes everything look more painterly.

A couple of weeks ago, I showed that hat to a mom who was interested in having me make a bar mitzvah hat for her son. She liked it so much that she wanted to buy it. I couldn't bear to part with it, so I made her another one. Normally, I don't like to make the same thing twice, but it was just as much fun the second time around as the first. Here's version II: 





She wanted all gold metallic threads, so that's what I gave her! 

If you're interested in giving a pillbox hat/yarmulke a try, I have a simple and inexpensive pattern here. I simplified my own pattern even further by finishing the bottom edge with a satin stitch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!