Monday, October 12, 2020

Pandemic Porch Quilt Show, Days 5-10

My quilt-a-day pandemic porch quilt show, in my little town of South Pasadena, CA, continues! (Quilts 1-5 are here). I love it when people come up the front walk for a closer look. My office faces out over the front yard, so I can keep an eye on things. I do have a sign requesting that request that visitors wear masks if they come close, and that they not touch the quilt. 

DAY 6: Invocation

This quilt, made in the mid-90s, is a Tree of Life, with the letters of the word "chai" spelled out in the branches 72 times. "Chai" means "life" in Hebrew, and it, along with number 72, is said to bring good luck. I intended it as a wedding canopy, but no one's gotten married under it yet. 

It's made entirely of batiks. 


DAY 7: Blue Cross, Blue Shield

This quilt emerged one day during my denim period, in 2016, after the phrase, "Blue Cross, Blue Shield" lodged in my head. The plus signs were fun to improv cut and piece from old jeans; but then I got stuck on how to make shields. I was about to peruse my 2-ton encyclopedia of quilt blocks, when it struck me that jeans pockets are shield-shaped! A blog post with more photos and details are here

Below, sans sunlight. It's heavily quilted.

Day 8: Cosmic Map

This is an English Paper Pieced quilt, and was selected to hang in Houston's IQA show in 2019. It's also a projects in my book, "Hexagon Star Quilts, 113 English Paper Pieced Star Patterns to Piece and Applique." (More about the book here.) While designing it, I thought about subway maps in cities I've been lucky enough to live in, including Boston, New York, Los Angeles, and Tokyo. So this map has a pink line, a red line, a lavender line, and more! 

It's heavily quilted, with more stars. Closer: 

Day 9: Fireflower 600
This is the first in my series of improvisational log cabin triangle quilts. It's made from 600 3 3/4" equilateral triangle blocks, improv pieced in different patterns, on top of scrap paper. My technique and a booklet that includes instructions for this quilt are in my Etsy shop, here

Detail: 

Day 10: "Eyeshadows" 
This quilt is one in a series made in 2017, by playing solitaire with stacks of solid or batik squares. Such fun! It was simpler than in the photo below, but it didn't impress anyone else as much as it impressed me. So, empowered by the last quilt show just before the pandemic, I fancied it up with floating stuffed circles and lots more quilting. The whole story is here

Days 11-15 are coming soon! You can also keep up with this show daily, at my Instagram feed, at https://www.instagram.com/cathy.perlmutter/

3 comments:

  1. I’m enjoying the quilt show, and your vintage South Pasadena house. I grew up in SP, in a very similar-looking house at the corner of Meredian and Magnolia, which was built by my great-grandparents in 1910. It was endangered by the freeway extension plans, but still survives! Dot

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful, Dot ! S. Pasadena recently achieved victory (for now) in warding off the dreaded freeway extension, so I think your old family home is safe. My home was also built in 1910! These homes are so lovely, they make any quilt look good! Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great post...my heart here in Charlotte needs cheering...bingo...xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!